Friday January 1st
New Year (Recap of 2020: Short post)
- This year, although it was not filled without struggles, was pretty great for me. I got quite a lot done.
- I LOVED being home! I would have to say this past year was great (as I said in my last interview) for deep thinking. I also met a lot of people across disciplines, which was great. Looking back, I didn’t think I thought I’d be able to achieve as much as I did!
In no special order
- Presented research at 3 Academic (two first author, one second), peer-reviewed conference workshops (woo! I was aiming for 1 at the beginning of the year!)
- Invited to speak for 30 events (that’s about 1 every 2 weeks!)
- Reviewer for 6 Academic conferences and asked to be a reviewer and Member of the Board for an Academic journal
- Reviewed for 2 non-academic organizations, and wrote recommendation letters
- Organizer & Volunteer for a number of conferences (close to 7: this year I was involved in: AAAI, ACL, ICML, EMNLP, EC’20, ICLR, NeurIPS. I was also asked to speak on a panel for FaaCT but I couldn’t get my visa together in time to fly to Spain)
- Covered in quite a bit in press this year (to the point that my parents noticed!)
- Collaborated (through advisor) with industry while being on industry / advisor funding (Amzn)
- Worked on an NSF proposal with some mathematicians (Sage Maths)
- Proposed direction of my dissertation (and presented via MD4SG group)
- Completed a summer internship (Adsk)
- Secured for summer internship (Msft). I was fortunate to only do 2 interviews this year and to secure offers from both companies, but one got back to me faster :)
- Explored the world of entrepreneurship through the Harvard Franklin Fellowship (1 of 12 persons chosen) and wrote about my experiences.
- Wrote and reviewed a lot through Graduate Writing Center at my school, which improved my reviewing skills across disciplines.
- Was recruited for both a Creative and a Technical role simultaneously at the same company (wild!) and presented both an artwork and a scientific paper at a peer-reviewed Academic conference (NeurIPS)
- Did Code 2040 Fellowship, which I’ve always wanted to do!
- Participated and joined the SFPC community, which I’ve always wanted to do!
- Joined a reading and writing club (to continue to write consistently and with discipline)!
- Participant in 3 industry PhD events (Adobe, Msft Research, Bloomberg) and invited to another for 2021 (Jane Street), where I will be presenting my research!
- Mentored 2 persons; one is applying for grad school and presented their first, first-author paper at a conference, one got a job!
- Reviewed resumes and GSoC applications; 2 persons got in to GSoC (both on Privacy-preserving ML)!
- I made a list of goals; I already have some long-term ones, but I’m on this Slack where we’re doing it anyways, so why not?
- I’m pretty happy, and pretty grateful for everything. There are some things in the works I can’t talk about, but in the meantime, Happy New Year! :)
And that’s it
Written on January 1, 2021