Thursday April 12th
Hasky Data Things
Back in the Lab today
- I got in at 7, so I was able to take a nap, and ended up waking up 2 minutes before they opened up (at 8) :D
- I have a phone interview today, also, in the PM.
- I’m going to a Technical Interview Meetup today. I haven’t been to this Meetup before, but thought it may be worth a shot. I heard they go through Algorithms and stuff, and it’s language-agnostic (did someone say..Haskell?) :D
- My friend also has a space with some extra desks, so I may wander over there next week. I don’t want to be spoiled, though; he told me he has some amazing wifi :D
Been learning about Datatypes and TypeClasses
- Trying to wrap my head around that stuff.
- Unlike other languages where you can kind of ignore the warnings, Haskell isn’t the best language to do that.
- Today, I found out about the one that aborts your compilation if you haven’t accounted for exhaustive pattern-matching. Makes sense, actually.
So this sort of thing
- You account for all cases of your definition
It was something like
data Band = Singer | Drummer | Guitarist | Bassist | Groupie deriving Show
- Aerosmith was one of my favourite (and still is) bands growing up. So why not be cute?
- So I tried to compile and got this
- Dangit! What’s the problem? Why don’t you just work!?
- Oh wait….it is non-exhaustive.
- So I added a fail-safe.
- Groovy. Compile, man.
- Oh no..not again! Today is just not my day, is it?
- Yeah, had to be Joey. He’s always the one. I can fix that.
- And..somehow..it all worked out!
- Trying to understand typeclasses and all that. Hopefully I can start actually building more stuff, and I can blog about that.
Written on April 12, 2018