Thursday April 26th
Neat Googs Foo.bar Haskell Hack and OPLSS!
- Yes, I’m in! Officially going to OPLSS in July! :D
- Thought since I’m a Haskellino and this happened to me about two years ago (when I searched for this specific Haskell term) and someone did a Java version, I’d do one for Haskell!
This is for if you’d like to try their programming challenges
- Basically, if you’re a Haskellino and want to try Foo.Bar, Google’s recruitment challenge, but you want to do it the Haskell way…
- Yes, of course you want to do it the Haskell way!
Open up a browser
- I already have a Foo.bar from before, so I used incognito
Type in “Applicative Functor”
- retrieve the first address for this Google search like shown below
Copy and Paste that result into a new tab.
- Hover (or Click) the first link. If this doesn’t work, repeat the copy and paste into a new tab
Eventually, this comes up
Click “I want to play”
- See, it opens up the browser window with applicative functor search. Yay Haskell!
- You can see it sort of warped the image backwards, as my search term, “Applicative Functor”, is now tilted.
You have to log in using a gmail account
- Then, you can start to solve the questions in either Java or Python
- Wait..WHAT!? Did you just say Java or Python?
Why this sucks
- We would like to be able to solve this in Haskell!
- I mean, since some persons claim it isn’t even used anymore for recruiting, why not add a few languages that tend to draw bright people who are passionate about programming?
- OCaml, Racket, Haskell, Scala, Rust? I mean, it’s problem-solving, right? It just has to pass the test cases.
- Plus, I can guarantee that if a person can solve them in these languages, you can teach them Java / Python
- I mean, I was searching for “Applicative Functor”, after all. Why would I want to do your challenges in Java or Python?
- Plus, to re-iterate…they’re potentially missing out on some bright candidates.
- Some of my friends would probably write an interpreter that ports to Java or Python, and write it in PureScript or Racket.. haha. I’d hire those people!
But..what do I know..I’m just a student :D
- to be clear, I do like the company and what they do, but I’m really just interested in Haskell at the moment. :D
- so yeah…I probably won’t be doing that anytime soon..besides maybe looking at the questions, when I’m good enough in Haskell, and using them to practice solving things in Haskell :D (so on my own and not timed).
In other news…
- I’ve been accepted for OPLSS!!
- My room and board is being paid for (which includes meals)
- I’m really excited!
And…BayHac is this weekend!
- That’s all I have to say! I’m pretty excited about that, too! :D
Written on April 26, 2018