Tuesday January 23rd
Julia Graphing Problems
- You know when you are learning a language for the first time, and you are really, really loving it, and then something just doesn’t work? Yeah..that’s me today. It’s actually not as frustrating because I like the language, so no biggie.
- At the same time, it’s an itch. Must solve this.
Fitting Two Curves
- I’m matching data to a curve. Specifically, the curve is a quadratic one that has to match some data I plotted.
So this is what I did so far
I imported the data and split the two columns into two arrays (x and y)
I did this by looking at the data file and creating two arrays, then pushing each array via an if else statement based on the number of values. Not the most efficient, I know, but it did the trick.
Then I checked to ensure the two arrays were what I expected
So far, so good!
I plotted this data, x against y. I initially used Gadfly, but decided to just use Plotly in the end, as it was recommended (I do like Gadfly, though!)
Then I made a function as defined that is quadratic. This will be the function Curve that is plotted that fits the data
So….what’s the problem, ya lazy bum?
- This is an example of the function plotted. By manipulating the values of the quadratic
c,I can get it to closely fit a curve.
- As you can see, it’s way off. I mean, it has the right shape in terms of the slant (decreasing gradient…
oh wait..it doesn’t even have that! It looks flipped on its y axis! cowers in embarrassment),
but I need it to match the scatter plot more closely. That means manipulating
c. The graphs also need to overlay, so stack up on each other like RGB slides trying to make a composite photo.
- I’ve been getting a browser error, (Something about JS Browser error), or otherwise I’ve been restarting Jupyter to get my kernels to restart. So we’ll see..working on it.
- working on this assignment and finishing up my Types Honors assignment. Hopefully this week!
- Also SQL Nanodegree work and the first two assignments, to be completed in these upcoming two weeks, so I’ll have Feb to do assignments 3 and 4.
- I also got a 5 star rating on my Mentoring of peers (they have to rate you!). Pretty neat :D
- I reached out to the organizers. I’d really like to attend and help out as a student volunteer. I’ve also never been in Philly before :D